Friday, August 9, 2013

Gloria Steinem Plastic Surgery Before and After Facelift Photos

How Does A Feminist Validate Plastic Surgery? From Gloria Steinem 
Do you consider yourself a feminist but are considering plastic surgery? Feminist Gloria Steinem dropped by Mondays With Marlo to share her opinion on the subject. It's important to evaluate why you're getting surgery done, Gloria explained. If you're in the public eye, for instance, a few nips and tucks might add another decade to your career. If not, embrace aging as your body's way of adapting to a different life stage.

Gloria Steinem: I looked ‘worse’ after little nip/tuck

Gloria Steinem, co-founder of Ms. Magazine in 1972, is now 77 years old. She recently explained in an interview that while she had some cosmetic work done in the past, she won’t be getting more

Feminist icon Gloria Steinem recently discussed a cosmetic procedure she had some years ago in an interview that ran in The Guardian/The Observer. She also explained why she doesn’t want more.

In one segment, reporter Rachel Cooke writes, “When she looks in the mirror, what does she see?”

Steinem, 77, says:
“Well, I’m shocked. Sometimes, you’re passing a store, and you see this person in the window, and you think: who is that? Oh, it’s me. But I’ve also realized that aging is a bit like what being pregnant must be like, by which I mean that your body knows how to do something that you don’t know how to do – and it’s quite interesting. Your body loses what it needs to support someone else, and it keeps what it needs to support you. That’s very smart. Just watching the process is somehow fascinating.”

The piece goes on: 
“A few years ago, during a brief stint hosting the Today show on NBC, she had a little fat removed from around her eyes so, as she once put it, ‘I didn’t look like Mao Tse-tung and I could wear my contacts.’ But she looked worse afterwards. [Steinem says:] ‘And what I care about is the message, and I realize that if I had plastic surgery, it would just distract people. It would be like having a bad toupee; they wouldn’t listen.’ She is appalled by America’s obsession with cosmetic surgery – ‘I keep thinking: Georgia O’Keeffe wouldn’t have had Botox’ – and would like to mount some kind of campaign against it: a warning, perhaps, of its side effects.’ ”